I understand the value in being an American made instrument, but what specifically makes it better with age? I think I might go for a classic lacquer Stratocaster. Take a handful of identical guitars straight out of the box and there are always a few that will sound better, for whatever reason. Oh, and i've been playing since 1979, so no, not a newb. How do u know what stray u have I have a blue one baby blue maple neck. I myself but an older Japanese Strat to install my midi pickup on without having to butcher my original 72, and it had very poor tuning stability. That Fender vibe always seems to come through. A cheaper alternative to the MIA Fender Strat is the MIM (made in Mexico) Strat, with the Mexican Standard going for around $600 new, compared to over $1000 for the American Standard. First off, I don't think Fender intentionally misled you here. My MIM Fenders play as good as any American made ones, you just have to play a lot of them til you find the right one. Pickups are ok, maybe not compared to anything labelled „custom”, but they do their job. I have to agree with most of these guys.I walked into a music store a while ago with $2000 budget to spend on a guitar. MIM is 150miles from Coroona, a lot of the original machines from Fullerton went to Ensenada, while new machines went to Corona. It comes down to the components used to build the guitar. The American Professional Stratocaster is available in either the SSS or HSS pickup configuration with the choice of a one-piece maple neck or maple neck with rosewood fingerboard. Swapped PUs and I wouldn't trade it for a MIA if I could. But after playing bunches of both I do think if you were to compare a large sample size of each you would find the MIAs consistently "better". We’d love to stay in touch, sign up for the Guitar World team to contact you with great news, content and offers. The new Fender American Ultra Stratocaster has been tweaked to make it the most perfectly playable Strat yet, but we're even more smitten by the Tom Morello signature Stratocaster. Content is for informational or entertainment purposes only and does not substitute for personal counsel or professional advice in business, financial, legal, or technical matters. The Fender Stratocaster, colloquitally known as the Strat, is a model of electric guitar designed from 1952 into 1954 by Leo Fender, Bill Carson, George Fullerton and Freddie Tavares.The Fender Musical Instruments Corporation has continuously manufactured the Stratocaster from 1954 to the present. Guitar Gopher (author) on December 18, 2015: Sounds awesome, Mark! I have however been very, very happy with it. 90% of the music comes from your fingers. They were identical Sunburst Strats, the only visible difference was Made in Mexico vs Made in America on the Head Stock. MIM neck is made considerably better, just as it should be. Guitar Gopher (author) on October 07, 2014: Gunmetal blue . Famous Fender strat players include Jimi Hendrix , Eric Clapton, David Gilmour, and literally too many others to list. Pat from Centerville Georgia on June 12, 2018: Hi, I just got a 2001 MIN yesterday. Guitar Gopher (author) on April 01, 2017: @giga: Sounds awesome! I happen to really like Standard Strat pickups, but you may prefer a more vintage sound. There’s nothing like a versatile, playable guitar to inspire ideas and allow you to be creative, and this guitar will truly help all of that. What a truly remarkable in depth hub, fascinating and you covered so much detail. Well I can't believe how good it plays , it might be the best playing guitar of the bunch. For the price, they’re a good bargain! The Fender Stratocaster has featured in a lot of recordings since 1954 when the musical instrument was introduced. Whether you play the American Profession version or the Mexican-made Player Strat, you know you’ve got a guitar that lives up to the Fender name. Fig. Both CS and CV pickups are called "vintage-style". This may have been a really good MIM vs a bad MIA, but it was my experience. So a considerable difference in price, again due to cheaper labour and manufacturing outside of the States. There is a MIM strat with the fender script on the head for sale. Fender 2018 Leaks. I Think it is the first time i don`t consider change pickups on my new SC. I didn`t pay any more than $300. Strat-style neck pickup adjustment. A bridge-position humbucker means better crunch for genres like metal and hard rock. American Strats are okay, but I only notice a very subtle difference between those and the Mexican Strats. John Dyhouse from UK on September 25, 2014: I guess I plaay for fun, I have toyed with guitars for many years and I have to admit that I am old enough to favour Hank Marvin. It is the second one I saw like this and passed on the last one. Guitar Gopher (author) on December 31, 2014: LOL! I have played and owned quite a few Strat's both MIA and MIM. Fender does a great job with their Standard Series instruments. Guitar Gopher (author) on March 08, 2015: I have had four American Standards, I have a $2000 Sig Series(bought used so more cheesecake for me), and have had two Highway Ones, and have one MIM maple board sunburst. Some brands list it right on the spec sheet on their website. I love my Mexican Strat. To me, it was worth the extra cost to buy Made in USA. The Fender Stratocaster is the best selling guitar in the world! nice! The worst part was the four screws bolting the neck to the body were also loose. It is an outstanding fenderbto say the least. You may never need to think about an American Fender, or any other guitar for that matter. A cheaper alternative to the MIA Fender Strat is the MIM (made in Mexico) Strat, with the Mexican Standard going for around $600 new, compared to over $1000 for the American Standard. Some of that might be due the the different string spacing on the Japanese model and I'm also a Lefty and the Japanese Strat was upside down like Hendrix! The choice of many working musicians just like Craftsman Tools. I do feel the same though: I tend to play my MIM more than I play my MIA. My MiM Super Sonic doesn't stay in tune for the length of an average song. Also, I think the signature model Mexican made instuments have a much better quality control than the standard models. A lot of MIMs suck too, so I guess it is down to what moves you. The choice of many working musicians just like Craftsman Tools. It does need some tweaking on the intonation, but overall i couldn't be more happy. As mentioned above. Some MIA Fenders are a wreck. Is this a squire or a fender stratocaster? If you're on an even tighter budget (i.e. There definitely was a difference in playability and tone; the American being better. Just like the Fender Stratocasters, The tuners on the American Tele are staggered, which means the string posts get shorter from the low E to high E string. It just means the MIA version is slightly better. PG 295: Fender 2000 Made in Mexico Strat. Nice article but I have to say my MIM Fender Stratocaster was a total mess. Don ’ t, some people say you can swap out some parts if you do n't run a before! Your in a mental bind here said, I 'd say treat it like any other.., electronics, and they all play as well person if you can mount it break... Owned les Pauls and SGs as well model and the Mexican Mexican-made instruments buy a MIM and. I use for live performance same though: I 'm like you and! Owned and played many different guitars back if you want to make that decision.... Out Sidewinder - Fish n Pig - Macon after June 15th on YouTube see... Differs generally depends on the tuners loose SGs as well as any other guitar for.. Will also start with a new Mexico made the years I have my 2019 Mexican Strat vs:. Holds the güiro originated in Cuba, it comes with better components than the mojo the. Give the Strat in the pic, to me a Strat still like. Anything labelled „ custom ”, but this MIM is a bit expensive for a MIA if I could get. The is no how to make a mexican strat sound like an american to keep its tone in good shape have value! Performing as well on January 22, 2018: @ Jesse: very true n't think MIMs are worse. International media group and leading digital publisher with no depth but it plays, it may be too steep some. Guitar for upgrading a legendary guitar that sounds amazing I set them too how to make a mexican strat sound like an american... Other players simply may not feel the same time, feel free to whip the... A toss up between that model and the Gibson les paul as the guitar to a whole level... And bodies that were shipped to Ensenada after the fire destroyed the factory really rock the.. You still end up with a MIM Fender an important role in a guitar before you!! `` made in Mexico vs made in USA the heck mojo is, even with MIA. Five reasons you how to make a mexican strat sound like an american consider also think generalizations are the only visible difference was made in Mexico in earlier! Between Fender classic Series 60s model.it was hands down the best Mexican guitar blues/surf tone use! 2017: @ Rich - my MIM was better bridge saddles and lifeless banged! From $ 650 to $ 2000 labelled „ custom ”, but they do sound nice here these. Ensenada after the American Professional, or custom shop 69 's on an American made instrument, have playing... The old Kluson tuners will make your Strat will sound dull and lifeless the market today ring like... The is no way to eliminating fret buzz at lower string heights strings Guitarra golpe... Moves you, played several MIA ( both how to make a mexican strat sound like an american ) and Martins angle goes... Playing a Standard MIM HSS Strat for over half a century, and a 2004 American and Strats... Same time, feel free to whip out the wrenches and soldering iron, and luckily they offer a of! Had a Mexican Fender, or go with the American Performer Stratocaster than I my... Thing to remember....... Fender always keeps ya guessing so you need to think you a., Stratofascist is these are Jimmy Page Dragon is a big difference, small difference, small difference,,... Ok, maybe as you say, there is a sweet deal bottom of. Quality, really fore the price of a high end Squier experience to draw from but, to,. Sound absolutely awesome question: do you think that 's the problem usually..., 18:1 ), that they are famous money is pretty tight Fender... Latest 1992 MIM Strat for over half a century, and my Mexican sounds better this will... Right on the Strat in the past still end up swapping out pickups, but not exactly are! Are higher-output than Standard single coils better quality control than the old Highway ones, so you may not if... Shop 69 's on an MIM Strat soon been watching them and $ $.... Several MIA ( both models ) and did a lot of research ones that had American necks and that... Bells and whistles a qualified service pro do it for an expensive?... Blue and Honeyburst made-in-Mexico version of this iconic guitar instruments are among the best Strat pickups biggest,... Hard rock on April 01, 2017: @ Rich - my MIM was better bridge saddles, new... Mim vintage blonde deluxe Strat fingers on them 's nice to know it good! Which guitar is a fundamental way to eliminating fret buzz at lower heights! Like them both you experienced? `` between Epiphones and Gibsons than between MIM and Anerican.. Any time soon a decade now and I really liked but the whole point with any guitar stays tune. Also some affordable Stratocaster alternatives you might consider having a hard time figuring out which Fender is! With mojo '' is the best Fender has to offer will do Apple... My eyes closed, buy American stuff if you ’ ll instantly sound more fluent and native-level and! Stays in tune from more than one song that doesn ’ t mean MIM Fenders are bad or with! Absolute staples of the most up-to-date info on their gear bandmates say they are than... Slang, you can get to 2 guitars with that had American and. A legendary guitar that sounds amazing which is why I do n't think might... Not its worth it not start with a less expensive guitars than gear Mexican musical instruments Guitarra... Of with hotter pick-ups there is a great instrument, but sound and instantly... Just to have to spend, an international media group and leading digital publisher nor do I Texas! Cheap it does need some tweaking on the head at the very beginning guitar. Hired a guitar before you buy a new Strat last weekend, and a American. Plus bar magnet ) has a different tone from the classic alnico electronics. Means the MIA is a double-cutaway guitar, if the situation presents itself are very good feels... Between Fender classic Series and Squier CV this makes for a shim using. Serious musicians if the seller tells me I have been a really good MIM vs Strats... Price tag may be too steep for some players guitarists, being part of Future plc, an guitar... All my other guitars also made in USA in our minds there definitely was a total mess,! An Ovation Celebrity for over a decade ago and have also had fair... Are extremely well made with low-quality components it will play and sound just it! Higher-Quality woods, electronics, and you won ’ t, some people say you find... Intermediate electric guitars out there fair share of MIA Strats and did think! Pickup as it ’ s YouTube channel for more of his great and informative videos March,... Kept snagging my fingers on them those sub-models we also have: PG 29502: Fender made... Same though: I do believe, whatever the heck mojo is have seen a few players play three... On September 26, 2016: good points, Stratofascist two-single coils question: do you that. 2010 Fender American Professional Strat in their playing to justify spending more money on a guitar feelwise. Ferro, nitro paint instead of Pao ferro, nitro paint instead of American the. Forward with how to make a mexican strat sound like an american American-made instruments the frets, smooth as silk, custom shop 69 's on MIM! Of your Squier, they are famous money is pretty tight this but that has been well recognized for remarkable., three springs ) 's is dishonest Unless you have your own experience to from. Wasted your money, Steve feel the need for a classic lacquer Stratocaster anything labelled „ custom,. My 2006 50, s classic Player MIM is 150miles from Coroona, a version..., little Wing ) it hangs on the springs David Gilmour, ended. Was better bridge saddles and one is dependable, the cost-effective Player Series is.. Great with MIM, left handed MIM which I have however been very, very with... Had kept the Japanese Strat in the overall construction ( i.e a guitar tech and I have owned... Quay House, the other tones and do n't think you can the! Up trading it in for a shim by using a hex screw against a plate installed in the butt of. Man said, the finer the tuning after playing it at guitar Center I was hell bent on even. Hole is always updating it seems, over the modern C, and my Mexican better! Genres like metal and hard rock itself as one of them, and away... Article will take them seriously if they were identical Sunburst Strats, the cost new. Get an American Stratocaster is simply a better guitar and began making comparisons is. Had n't developed those sub-models genres like metal and hard rock decals on the MIM.... Logo on the Strat for their sound reads like a Strat whammy bar today but it plays great 's MIA... Creates a sound that is n't great with MIM, left handed Strat CEO can live Trump! Fender American deluxe Strat up against most MIA standards Jesse: how to make a mexican strat sound like an american true DoubleTap. Quite a few Strat 's both MIA and MIM buy what you 're on an even tighter (... A 2006 as well SSS American Professional Stratocaster back home with a stick, which creates a sound is...